Talladega, AL
Last year, Erik told me he would never take me within 100 miles of Dega, where did we find ourselves this year? Dega. We went with two guys that were on the jump team with Erik at the Academy and the three of us had no idea what to expect. I didn't expect much as I didn't pack anything nice and knew we would be camping; however, what we did see I was not ready for. Driving in to the camp grounds across the street from the race track was a sight. There were trailers, rv's, campers, tents, old cars, new cars, Nascar paraphernalia everywhere. Not to mention the confederate flag once every three campsites. There was ignorance every which way you looked. After finally finding a spot where we could set up camp on a quiet row, we went exploring. One of the first comments out of Joe's mouth was, "Any where else in the world, this place would be considered a refugee camp."
He couldn't have said it better, that's what it looked like. There was smoking rising from each campsite as they had fires lit and not to mention all of the campers.
I can only wonder what these people do on a normal day, but we saw pregnant girls smoking, an AA tent with couches and meetings going on yet they were drunk, women taking the "Save the TaTa's" slogan to the next level, guys swooning at any sight of these same women, haneious signs asking to see the hooters, not to mention the outfits. Did I mention that Talladega fell on Halloween this year? Well it did. The costumes that we saw, I could ramble on for days. On the same note, I could ramble on for days and days at how ridiculous the people and the things we saw were. I can only show pictures:
Morning After, Cleaning Up Camp, Let's throw the coffin in the fire!
National Peanut Festival
Dothan, AL
The second weekend in a row experiencing Red Neck Alabama! This past weekend we gathered a group of people and headed to this annual event. The people weren't as ridiculous; however, I still feel like this is "Only in Alabama!" :) I tried Boiled Peanuts for the first time and they were delicious!! After all the fried food and walking around we could handle, we went to the main event for the night. Demolition Derby. There were four rounds of beat up cars that barely work going round the ring trying to demolish the other cars. Although, I probably killed a few hundred brain cells with the car smoke I inhaled after a car was demolished, watching the cars was hilarious!
Now, you would have to be at these two places to see what these fine people had to say about our President.
Dega on the AA Whiteboard: "Do you know what JFK and Obama have in common?"
"Nothing, yet."
Written on one of the cars at the Demolition Derby: "I've got Obama in the trunk"
To end on a funny note, Erik, Tank, and I were driving to Petsmart this past weekend and next to us we saw a man and wife on a motorcycle enjoying the beautiful day. They also decided to bring their dog. The dog was sitting behind the lady in a carrying case with small doggy goggles on so the wind wouldn't impair his sight and so he could enjoy the ride on the bike, too!
Lol. Goodness those are some stories to remember!
ReplyDelete