In college, I never really got on the 12th man bandwagon...I just went to classes, had fun with my friends, and enjoyed football season. Coming from a family of Longhorns, I grew up a Longhorn and then turned my head when it came time to choose colleges and went to the rivalry school 2 1/2 hours away. Being an Aggie was not a big thing to me, at the time. Don't get me wrong, I always wore A&M paraphernalia, wore, and still wear, my Aggie ring, and cheered hard at the football game; however, being a true Aggie never really hit me until after I graduated.
In Del Rio, the only Aggie spirit I encountered was meeting Kristi. It was great having a fellow Aggie friend/wife to experience the Dirty D with. :) She is a wife of one of the students in pilot training with Erik. That was it though.
Now that we have moved to Alabama, home of rednecks and mosquitoes, I see Aggies everywhere! I don't know if I am just looking harder or remember it more because its like a little piece of home when I see fellow Aggies...but they are here. They are everywhere. Once, we were sitting in the Papa John's parking lot, waiting to pick up our pizza when this guy came out with pizza in hand and asked us while we were sitting in our car, "Are yall Aggies?" Yes!! After talking and getting the pertinent info of why he was at Fort Rucker and of course what year he was, he went on his merry way. One other time, that really sticks out in my mind is when Erik and I were in our driveway about to get in the car and a guy running paused and asked, "Are yall Aggies?" He had seen my Century Club Member sticker on my car. There have been many other occasions and its like a slice of heaven each time.
After almost two years post college, I finally realize the power of the Aggie Spirit. There is no other school like it! So much history, so much tradition, so many Aggies. From the outside looking in, you may call us a cult; however, from the inside looking out we know you're just jealous!!
Now that we have moved out of state, the monthly Aggie Spirit magazine will have to do; but, my eyes are peeled for that Century Club Sticker, Texas A&M Gear, Aggie Rings, that little slice of A&M pride all over the world!
Thanks and Gig'Em!
No comments:
Post a Comment